Yes, you read it right. A gluten-free panino made from cauliflower! A perfect way to turn your veggies into a tasty and colourful dish. In this recipe I will use as fillings of the panino mozzarella and cherry tomato’s, but the beauty of this dish is that you can add any ingredient to fill up the panino, turning it also into a vegetarian dish if you like. Let your creativity inspire you!
Ingredients for 2 panini:
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- a generous handful of basil
- cherry tomato’s
- 2 pieces of mozzarella
- salt and pepper
1. Cut the cauliflower in small pieces and place it into the food processor. Mix the cauliflower until it becomes as thin as rice, obtaining cauliflower rice.
2. Place the cauliflower rice into a towel and squeeze out most of the moisture. This step is very important in order to obtain a crust that is crunchy instead of soft and wet.
3. Mix the eggs together with the basil in a separate bowl. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add subsequently the drained cauliflower rice to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
5. Place the mixture onto the baking tray into four small circles and shape them until they obtain the same size as they need to be placed on top of each other.
6. Put the tray in the pre-heated oven for about 20min until the crusts become golden-brown.
7. Take the baking tray out of the oven, place the finely cut pieces of mozzarella and tomato onto two circles and place the remaining circles on top, obtaining two Panini.
8. Place the baking tray in the oven for an additional 10min in order for the mozzarella to melt.