- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 300gr Arborio rice
- 1 glass red wine
- 1/2 liter chicken stock, hot
- 20gr butter plus more for seasoning
- 80 gr freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
- 70 gr sliced speck
1. In a 30cm skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Once the onions are translucent add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed.
3. Fry the speck in a large skillet in its own grease until crunchy.
4. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates (we made a parmesan basket) serving with extra cheese and the crunchy speck.